From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] paludis Was: glibc-2.6.1 cpu error
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:49:22
1 2007/10/19, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560710180732t6d270ca1pec4697ea7fc5817a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:32:11 +0200:
6 >
7 > > i recompiled gcc and used portage and that worked. i think that mine is
8 > > a paludis bug. i'll post the bug on the paludis bugzilla. thanks for
9 > > your help anyway.
10 >
11 > Thanks for the fix report. You may be right. I've not used paludis.
12 >
13 > Talking about which... does paludis have proper binary package support
14 > yet? That's the main reason I hadn't tried it back some time ago (when
15 > ciaranm was still a Gentoo dev, IIRC). Portage's FEATURES=buildpkg is my
16 > favorite underdocumented power-user portage feature (for all sorts of
17 > reasons I could detail but don't really belong in this post), and back
18 > then, paludis didn't handle binpkgs at all, let alone have anything as
19 > useful as portage's tar.bz2-with-some-extra-metadata-tacked-on binpkg
20 > format, so regardless of paludis' other features, there was simply no way
21 > I could seriously consider it. Maybe that has changed by now?
24 i don't know of that option being supported. i currently use the 0.24.6 from
25 august and that don't seem to list that feature. what does that feature in
26 portage?!
27 i'm using paludis for a speed reason. portage is really really slow and it
28 makes you die before determining deps. it's awful in that terms. i foud out
29 paludis which has a great speed and that seems to give a lot of debug infos
30 and that has a more modular approach when compared to portage. the last
31 useful thing is that i with portage i used to get some times compilation
32 errors that would go away when resuming; this thing don't happen almost
33 anytime with paludis. the only thing is that you'll have to install the
34 hooks or you risk doing some damage to the world db by deleting something
35 like some baselayout files when updating baselayout. that was some file
36 linking problem fixed when installing the collision protect hook.
37 but the function that i think is the best of paludis is the repositories:
38 you can administrate your layouts in a very good way and have a different
39 configuration for the various repos packages.
42 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
43 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
44 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 >
46 > --
47 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
53 dott. ing. beso