From: Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: opengl issues in emerge world
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:49:03
1 Hi,
2 Am Samstag 26 August 2006 13:54 schrieb Duncan:
3 > Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200608261244.05419.clip2@×××.de,
4 >
5 > excerpted below, on Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:44:02 +0200:
6 > >> So, for the [problem of the ebuild not properly switching to xorg-x11
7 > >> opengl] try manually running eselect opengl list, then eselect
8 > >> opengl set <number for xorg-x11). If it's screwed up, you may have to
9 > >> try toggling it to something else then back to xorg.
10 > >
11 > > there is only xorg-x11 in the list,
12 >
13 > That's interesting, as you say you are using the Nvidia slaveryware video
14 > drivers, which should give you NVidia's OpenGL drivers as well.
15
16 yes and they work, i get up to several 100 frames in some 1st person shooters.
17 i dont think so, but may be its interesting that i have a somehow new nvidia
18 geforce 7900GT card, dunno.
21 > >> For the former problem, because the compatibility libs are pre-compiled
22 > >> binaries, remerging them goes pretty fast, so rather than mess with
23 > >> trying to get the detection order right, the easiest workaround is to
24 > >> simply unmerge the compatibility libs so the detection will find the
25 > >> proper 64-bit versions, then remerge the compatibility libs after
26 > >> you've merged whatever was choking on them.
27 > >
28 > > i re-installt the nvidia drivers without 32bit compatibility, but it
29 > > didnt work afterwards, either. i cheched if the /usr/lib64/libGL.so
30 > > existed, but there was only /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
31 > >
32 > > i linked it to /usr/lib64/libGL.so, and afterwards, emerge -avD
33 > > libquicktime worked.
34 > >
35 > > but xdriinfo still fails with the same error as posted in the last email
36 > > any ideas?
37 >
38 > OK, eselect opengl is definitely screwed up, as it's the one that should
39 > be creating the symlinks, and with the NVidia drivers, you should have the
40 > NVidia OpenGL option as well.
41 >
42 > What nvidia-* packages do you have merged? You should probably have
43 > nvidia-drivers (or possibly nvidia-legacy-drivers if you have an old card),
44 > which is the merged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. If you haven't updated
45 > to nvidia-drivers (or legacy), then you'd need both kernel and glx.
46
47 i had not one of them, i installed the driver-package from nvidia.com by hand
48 now i tried emerging nvidia-drivers, which works, but then i can not play any
49 32bit games, not even TETRIS via Dosbox.
50 >
51 > At this point, I'd try to straighten out the eselect opengl first. If you
52 > play 32-bit games or run other 32-bit 3D (read OpenGL) enabled apps, go
53 > ahead and remerge it with 32-bit again, as that wasn't what I was
54 > referring to (more on that later). Then try remerging eselect-opengl. I'm
55 > not sure how the detection works, but if you still don't have an entry for
56 > nvidia opengl after that, I'd try remerging the nvidia drivers again after
57 > eselect-opengl, then if necessary eselect-opengl again.
58
59 i emerged this nvidia-drivers package and remerged eselect-opengl, but the
60 error was still the same. now both gl's are listed by eselect, but xdriinfo
61 still doesnt compile
64 > Thus:
65 > emerge nvidia video drivers with 32-bit
66 > emerge eselect-opengl
67 > Take a look and see if you have an nvidia entry under eselect opengl list
68
69 how can i emerge nvidia drivers with 32bit emulation? there is no useflag for
70 it.
73 > If not:
74 > emerge nvidia's drivers again
75 > emerge eselect-opengl again
76 > Take another look.
77 >
78 > If you still don't have them, consider checking for and filing if there
79 > isn't one, a bug on eselect-opengl.
80 >
81 > Once you get that straightened out, hopefully you'll be fine.
82 >
83 > FWIW, the other thing I was concerned about was the stuff in /emul. That
84 > is, the 32-bit compatibility library packages named as
85 > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-*, particularly xlibs. I was suggesting if
86 > you have any of those merged, unmerge them temporarily then remerge them
87 > after the upgrade. (Again, those are all pre-built binaries, no
88 > compiling, so they merge pretty fast as it's pretty much just a few file
89 > copies and updating the ld-cache.)
90
91 i removed that emul-linx-x86 xlibs and again did that emerge -avD world, which
92 gives me
93 # emerge -avD world
94
95 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
96
97 Calculating world dependencies... done!
98 [ebuild N ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-7.0-r2 USE="opengl"
99 VIDEO_CARDS="-i810 -mach64 -mga -r128 -radeon -s3virge -savage -sis -tdfx -trident -via"
100 0 kB
101 [ebuild N ] x11-apps/xdriinfo-1.0.1 USE="-debug" 0 kB
102
103 this now. and here is something i wonder about: the VIDEO_CARDS dont match my
104 make.conf, and nvidia is not in the list. this is my make.conf:
105
106 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse3"
107 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
108 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
109 MAKEOPTS="-j4"
110 USE="pda unicode wxwindows truetype skins xine mp3 mpeg ogg tetex wmv xmms sdk
111 vdread win32codecs -gnome X nsplugin qt kde cdr dvd dvdr alsa nfs games
112 browserplugin mozilla"
113 LINGUAS="de"
114 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
115 ALSA_CARDS="snd-intel8x0"
116 #FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/getdelta.sh \$\{URI\}"
117 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gentoo/"
120 could this be the problem?
125 > However, while it's still possible you may need to do that, I'd worry
126 > about getting eselect opengl working correctly first. If you are still
127 > having problems after that, /then/ it's time to worry about this.
128 > However, right now your system is in a somewhat unknown state in regard to
129 > opengl in general, and I'd want to get that fixed and functional before
130 > trying the other.
131 >
132 > Again, this is trying to help but I've no experience with it myself as I'm
133 > not going to run software that restricts my freedom, or purchase hardware
134 > from those who refuse to respect my choice of software freedom. As such,
135 > while I can try to help, it's possible I'll miss something vital that
136 > someone willing to compromise their freedoms and running the
137 > software/hardware would pick up right away.
138 >
139 > --
140 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
141 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
142 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
145 Frank Castle is dead!
146 Call me 'The PUNISHER'!