From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 12:02:45
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 23 May 2015 07:37:26 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'd actually like to see Gentoo evolve until we reach a point where this
4 > sort of thing is easy to do safely. Right now @system is a mish-mash of
5 > a bunch of stuff and it is hard to pick out stuff like openssh which is
6 > trivially removable from stuff like openrc which has surprising reverse
7 > deps from stuff like glibc which obviously isn't going anywhere anytime
8 > soon.
9 >
10 > I'd really like to see a few virtuals created (perhaps nesting) that
11 > chop this up into categories like recommend-default packages, stuff
12 > required for POSIX, and so on. We can still give users a good default
13 > experience, and we can still avoid having ebuilds having to list out a
14 > laundry-list of deps, but we can also do things like allow more
15 > parallel-building and make it easier to remove stuff.
16
17 What about the new @profile vs @system stuff? I don't believe I've seen
18 anything move to @profile yet, tho I'm not /exactly/ sure what sort of
19 indication I'd get, but in theory at least, @profile was supposed to at
20 least avoid the parallel-build blockages that @system does for safety.
21
22 Anything practical come of the @profile/@system split yet? It didn't
23 turn out to be a bad solution to the problem did it? Other opinions and/
24 or experience on/with it?
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman