From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 11:37:35
1 On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 > [snip empty @system approach]
3 >
4 > Wow, that's certainly an interesting approach! It's definitely not for me,
5 > though. While I appreciate the control Gentoo gives me, I don't need *that*
6 > kind of control.
9 I'd actually like to see Gentoo evolve until we reach a point where
10 this sort of thing is easy to do safely. Right now @system is a
11 mish-mash of a bunch of stuff and it is hard to pick out stuff like
12 openssh which is trivially removable from stuff like openrc which has
13 surprising reverse deps from stuff like glibc which obviously isn't
14 going anywhere anytime soon.
15
16 I'd really like to see a few virtuals created (perhaps nesting) that
17 chop this up into categories like recommend-default packages, stuff
18 required for POSIX, and so on. We can still give users a good default
19 experience, and we can still avoid having ebuilds having to list out a
20 laundry-list of deps, but we can also do things like allow more
21 parallel-building and make it easier to remove stuff.
24 Rich