From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Thread-hijacking (was: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to play flac files?)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 03:25:07
1 On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 14:28 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 04 October 2006 11:25, "Vladimir G. Ivanovic"
4 > <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to play flac
5 > files?':
6 > > Agreed, but my mail reader (Evolution) shows his subject to be "How to
7 > > play flac files?" which is a new subject. My mail reader shows Patric's
8 > > original email to be a sub-thread of a previous email with a different
9 > > subject, but I would say that this is a bug in Evolution, not that
10 > > hijacking has occurred.
11 >
12 > That's the very *definition* of highjacking. There's a specific header
13 > ('References', IIRC) that is used to indicate what thread a message is
14 > part of. This is for various reasons, but mostly because matching subject
15 > doesn't give you full information about the tree structure of the thread,
16 > and attempting to match quoted text can lead to madness.
17 >
18 > While some mail clients provide subject based threading, it is not the
19 > correct way to indicate a message is threaded. Subject-based threading is
20 > generally only useful to work around mail clients that do not properly add
21 > a 'References' header (or whatever header you are supposed to use, I don't
22 > remember, ATM).
25 About, oh, 99.9% of the world's email users wouldn't have any idea of
26 what we're talking about. The notion that emails with different subjects
27 would be part of the same thread would strike them as, expressing it
28 politely, interesting.
29
30 ---- Vladimir
33 Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>