From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Thread-hijacking (was: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to play flac files?)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:32:45
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 11:25, "Vladimir G. Ivanovic"
2 <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to play flac
3 files?':
4 > Agreed, but my mail reader (Evolution) shows his subject to be "How to
5 > play flac files?" which is a new subject. My mail reader shows Patric's
6 > original email to be a sub-thread of a previous email with a different
7 > subject, but I would say that this is a bug in Evolution, not that
8 > hijacking has occurred.
9
10 That's the very *definition* of highjacking. There's a specific header
11 ('References', IIRC) that is used to indicate what thread a message is
12 part of. This is for various reasons, but mostly because matching subject
13 doesn't give you full information about the tree structure of the thread,
14 and attempting to match quoted text can lead to madness.
15
16 While some mail clients provide subject based threading, it is not the
17 correct way to indicate a message is threaded. Subject-based threading is
18 generally only useful to work around mail clients that do not properly add
19 a 'References' header (or whatever header you are supposed to use, I don't
20 remember, ATM).
23 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
24 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
25 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
26 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh