From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Change Install Prefix
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:11:48
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:29:00 -0400
3 > Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> perhaps you like to go with a prefixed portage:
6 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/
7 >>>
8 >> >From http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/ebuilds/
9 >>
10 >> Make a folder where you will store your own ebuilds
11 >>
12 >> mkdir -p /usr/local/portage
13 >>
14 >> and set that folder in /etc/make.conf:
15 >>
16 >> PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
17 >>
18 >> The folder structure in your overlay folder should be the same as found
19 >> in /usr/portage.
22 > As I understand things, overlays could not be the answer because they
23 > are intended only for packages outside of the standard portage tree.
24 > I want to install some standard packages into an alternative location.
25 >
26 > But Prefix appears promising. I'll have to investigate.
27 >
28 > Can Prefix replace Portage entirely? That is, can Prefix be used
29 > to maintain an ordinary Gentoo system in place of Portage?
30 >
31 no
32
33 > Since I would only want to relocate a relatively small number of packages,
34 > another solution I am considering is to emerge with the option
35 > --buildpkgonly to create a binary package. This package can then be
36 > unpacked to the desired location. Also, sed can be used to change all
37 > instances of /usr/lib64, /usr/include, etc., in the *.la and *.pc
38 > files to the appropriate directory. The file package.provided would
39 > also have to updated to inform portage that the package is actually
40 > available. This may seem rather tedious, but a shell script could
41 > automate the process. It may not be elegant, but it would work.
42 >
43 > Frank Peters