From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Change Install Prefix
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:08:37
1 On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:29:00 -0400
2 Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > > >
5 > > perhaps you like to go with a prefixed portage:
6 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/
7 > >
8 > >From http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/ebuilds/
9 >
10 > Make a folder where you will store your own ebuilds
11 >
12 > mkdir -p /usr/local/portage
13 >
14 > and set that folder in /etc/make.conf:
15 >
16 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
17 >
18 > The folder structure in your overlay folder should be the same as found
19 > in /usr/portage.
22 As I understand things, overlays could not be the answer because they
23 are intended only for packages outside of the standard portage tree.
24 I want to install some standard packages into an alternative location.
25
26 But Prefix appears promising. I'll have to investigate.
27
28 Can Prefix replace Portage entirely? That is, can Prefix be used
29 to maintain an ordinary Gentoo system in place of Portage?
30
31 Since I would only want to relocate a relatively small number of packages,
32 another solution I am considering is to emerge with the option
33 --buildpkgonly to create a binary package. This package can then be
34 unpacked to the desired location. Also, sed can be used to change all
35 instances of /usr/lib64, /usr/include, etc., in the *.la and *.pc
36 files to the appropriate directory. The file package.provided would
37 also have to updated to inform portage that the package is actually
38 available. This may seem rather tedious, but a shell script could
39 automate the process. It may not be elegant, but it would work.
40
41 Frank Peters