From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:36:41
1 On 9/19/05, P.V.Anthony <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > Is there a simple document around that would tell me something
5 > > about the differences between the Gentoo 64-bit kernel and the
6 > > standard 2.6.13.2 kernel from kernel.org? I'm a audio user, live audio
7 > > recording, etc., and use Jack all the time.
8 >
9 > I am just happy to see another audio person in this list.
10 >
11 > I too do audio recording. Ashamed to say this, but I use Mac and Windows for
12 > that and not Gentoo. Sorry.
13
14 Perfectly cool with me. We've all been there. I was a Pro Tools user
15 for a long time. Sold it and run Ardour now, very successfully up
16 until this machine/kernel. It's to be expected though. My last laptop
17 used a new ATI chipset at the time. It took a couple of months before
18 everything caught up and worked well. Probably the same here. I expect
19 it will be fine one of these days soon.
20
21 I still use Win XP for a few soft synths - NI Guitar Rig, Battery,
22 Reaktor, GigaStudio (in parallel with LinuxSampler) Acid Pro, etc.
23 Mainly just stuff for which there is no Linux equivalent app in
24 existance.
25
26 Drop me a note anytime you want to chat about this sort of stuff.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list