From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 16:56:00
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:53:45 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:

> > You can alias them with a char* (a char pointer can alias everything in > a valid and defined manner). What you do is use the char* to scan over > the target type. And since a char is always guaranteed to be 8 bits, > it's very suited for doing endian conversions. >
Yes, that's true, but in my case another concern was having data that is more easily human readable. A text file full of single-byte data is harder to read than a file with full 64 or 32 bit strings. For endian conversions, though, the char pointer is recommended. But with the availability of the "-fno-strict-aliasing" option it doesn't seem to matter which method is chosen.