From: Guy Harrison <swampdog-ml6@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: KDE - vanishing apps
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:10:12
1 On Wednesday 15 Feb 2006 06:39, Duncan wrote:
2 > Guy Harrison posted <200602141959.23677.swampdog-ml6@××××××××.com>,
3 >
4 > excerpted below, on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:59:23 +0000:
5 > > If I can trouble you with a further question, within kickerrc
6 > > [Kmenu] where do I go next to find its entries?
7 >
8 > The question doesn't quite parse as is, here, so I'm forced to make
9 > some assumptions about what you meant. If they are wrong, you will
10 > therefore find the following likely doesn't answer your question, altho
11 > it might be useful info in general.
12
13 It is. Thanks a lot.
14
15 [snip saved email :-)]
16
17 > Back to your question... Unfortunately, the answer to where one finds
18 > the menu layout for KDE isn't as simple as it used to be, and to be
19 > honest, I can't give you as straight an answer here as I could a few
20 > years ago, because of that. KDE is complying with the freedesktop.org
21 > menu standards,
22
23 I'll try to get an overview of this.
24
25 > which work one way, as well as providing backward
26 > compatibility with its own older layout, which would have been quite
27 > familiar to anyone used to the MSWormOS start menu, as it kept the menu
28 > in the same sort of tree, located at /usr/share/applnk, I believe it
29 > was.
30
31 Caveat I've not read anything on freedesktop.org yet but nevertheless the
32 links within the older layout $HOME/.kde/share/applink appear to
33 correspond with the apps which remained - nano & xedit here. The only
34 other editors in the "Editors" k-menu section were the missing KDE apps,
35 kwrite,kate,kedit.
36
37 > Those work somewhat differently. It's possible there's a third
38 > standard in there as well, maybe backward compatibility with GNOME's
39 > pre-freedesktop.org layout, and maybe others as well.
40
41 Understood.
42
43 [snip]
44
45 Just after I posted yesterday, my "home icon" reappeared in the kicker,
46 complete with its keyboard shortcut. I am now fully restored! <G>
47
48 TIA
49 Guy
50 --