From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Re: KDE - vanishing apps
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:06:40
1 Guy Harrison posted <200602162008.28546.swampdog-ml6@××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:08:28 +0000:
3
4 >> Unfortunately, the answer to where one finds the menu layout for KDE
5 >> isn't as simple as it used to be [due to KDE's new compliance with the
6 >> fredesktop.org standard, plus various backward compatibility hacks].
7
8 >> [B]ackward compatibility with its own older layout, which would have
9 >> been quite familiar to anyone used to the MSWormOS start menu, as it
10 >> kept the menu in the same sort of tree, located at /usr/share/applnk, I
11 >> believe it was.
12 >
13 > Caveat I've not read anything on freedesktop.org yet but nevertheless
14 > the links within the older layout $HOME/.kde/share/applink appear to
15 > correspond with the apps which remained - nano & xedit here. The only
16 > other editors in the "Editors" k-menu section were the missing KDE apps,
17 > kwrite,kate,kedit.
18
19 OK, that confirms that my memory of the old format and location was
20 correct, and that backward compatibility does work. It also indicates
21 that the backward compatibility stuff remained intact, and it was the new
22 desktop.org compliant stuff that disappeared.
23
24 > Just after I posted yesterday, my "home icon" reappeared in the kicker,
25 > complete with its keyboard shortcut. I am now fully restored! <G>
26
27 Fully restored =8^), but still in a very disturbing situation, as you
28 don't know what caused the problem nor how to fix it if it happens again!
29 =8^(
30
31 Equally if not more disturbing to folks like me, who like to trace
32 down such things and find the explanation, so they understand what their
33 computer is doing, that information is missing ATM! I don't like a
34 computer doing stuff unexpected an unexplained, particularly when it
35 appears to be non-deterministic as well! That disturbs the very stability
36 of my known universe, from my perspective, and I find it very difficult to
37 sleep or carry on an otherwise normal life until I resolve the situation.
38 It's not unusual for me to spend 30 hour marathons without sleep and with
39 only the minimum necessary food, water, breaks, and interruptions for
40 work, tracing such issues. Only when I have it resolved is all right in
41 my little universe again, and I can catch up on food and sleep and the
42 like. =8^) Obviously, I identify with your distress, then, at not having
43 an explanation for this, and find it disturbing here, too, not only for
44 you, but as the thought occurs that that if it happened to you, it could
45 easily happen to me, too.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
51 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list