From: Guy Harrison <swampdog-ml6@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Re: KDE - vanishing apps
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:00:56
1 On Friday 17 Feb 2006 14:02, Duncan wrote:
2 > Guy Harrison posted <200602162008.28546.swampdog-ml6@××××××××.com>,
3 [snip]
4 > > Just after I posted yesterday, my "home icon" reappeared in the
5 > > kicker, complete with its keyboard shortcut. I am now fully restored!
6 > > <G>
7 >
8 > Fully restored =8^), but still in a very disturbing situation, as you
9 > don't know what caused the problem nor how to fix it if it happens
10 > again! =8^(
11 >
12 > Equally if not more disturbing to folks like me, who like to trace
13 > down such things and find the explanation, so they understand what
14 > their computer is doing, that information is missing ATM! I don't like
15 > a computer doing stuff unexpected an unexplained, particularly when it
16 > appears to be non-deterministic as well! That disturbs the very
17 > stability of my known universe, from my perspective, and I find it very
18 > difficult to sleep or carry on an otherwise normal life until I resolve
19 > the situation. It's not unusual for me to spend 30 hour marathons
20 > without sleep and with only the minimum necessary food, water, breaks,
21 > and interruptions for work, tracing such issues. Only when I have it
22 > resolved is all right in my little universe again, and I can catch up
23 > on food and sleep and the like. =8^) Obviously, I identify with your
24 > distress, then, at not having an explanation for this, and find it
25 > disturbing here, too, not only for you, but as the thought occurs that
26 > that if it happened to you, it could easily happen to me, too.
27
28 I'll be repeating stuff here but now it's (ahem) "sorted", in an attempt
29 to ease your sleepless nights a little I'll describe the connection...
30
31 The work machine is a w2k box sat on internal 10Mb connection behind a
32 corporate firewall, details of which are unknown, to a much faster
33 outside connection. This work machine also runs sophos (v5.x) which can
34 be very intrusive, although I suspect it is our maintainance guys which
35 are the cause of that intrusiveness.
36
37 It being w2k, I run cygwin and it is via cygwin X server that I connect
38 home. From work machine I "ssh -YC" to my FreeBSD box and then "ssh -XC"
39 into this debian box (FreeBSD box is a bit ancient so no -Y option).
40
41 The FreeBSD box is directly connected to my cable modem. It has two
42 network cards and runs samba & NAT + ipfw. It's other FSBD card comes out
43 into a router into which my internal network is connected. There's three
44 machines attached, one of which is this debian box. Another is my wife's
45 w2k machine, the third is the "pending FreeBSD box".
46
47 A further complication is my ISP. I do not have a static IP address. My IP
48 is on a 2 hour DHCP lease. However, the assigned IP never changes &
49 hasn't done even across power failures, which it theoretically should
50 have, had the cable modem renegotiated on powerup.
51
52 I've remained connected for many hours from work with no apparent issues.
53 I would have expected the 2 hour DHCP renew on FreeBSD to cause a break
54 but it never has.
55
56 If there is a next time for this problem, I'll try and look when I get
57 home to see if there's any dangling external connections.
58
59 Hmm, methinks I've complicated it further! :-)
60
61 TIA
62 Guy
63
64 PS. I know the feeling (-ansi -pedantic -W -Wall -Werror -g -O0) !!!
65 --
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list