From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Installing AMD64 Gentoo on another system!
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:00:26
1 "Christopher E" <sensory.access@×××××.com> posted
2 184c54640605131008g431b8541n67322a0ee6949470@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 13 May 2006 13:08:56 -0400:
4
5 > Duncan, how would you go about seting up Gentoo on a computer that has
6 > 512mb ram, 70gb of harddrive space, windows on the first partition
7 > (XP). Has a Radeon ALL-in-Wonder 8500 DV (thats what shows up in
8 > windows device manger) mother board is a ASUS K8V Delux with the
9 > latest and last bios that had been made.
10
11 Well, you asked how I'd do it, which is rather different than what I'd
12 expect you to be willing to do! =8^). What I'd do: I'd change out that
13 AIW-8500 for something fully supported by the native drivers. I see it's
14 still an AGP board, which means the Radeon 9250 or similar.
15
16 I'd also kill the eXPrivacy, as I couldn't legally run it anyway, because
17 I couldn't agree to the EULA in any case, so it'd be of no use to me.
18 Give me freedomware or give me a good book to read instead, as computing
19 with slaveryware isn't something I'm interested in doing, nor could I now,
20 even if I was interested, and stay legal.
21
22 Well, you asked. =8^)
23
24 Down the road, one thing you may wish to look into with xorg 7.1 is that
25 it has an experimental 3D capable reverse-engineered driver for the
26 newer ATI chips. That might be better than the slaveryware drivers --
27 when it's out (rc-3 just out yesterday), assuming your card is supported,
28 then. That's a solution that's probably a month or more out, reasonably,
29 however, to get 7.1 into ~arch, and have folks a bit more familiar with
30 things try it first, so they can be of help when you have issues.
31
32 Other than that, I'm not going to try a recommendation, as it's enough out
33 of my knowledge area to be unwise. Someone else likely has more
34 experience with that board, and/or the ATI slaveryware drivers. Now, if
35 you were asking about a Tyan s2885, I'd have a bit more to say. =8^)
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list