From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:56:48
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 473DF470.1050901@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007
3 14:50:08 -0500:
4
5 > Well, I'm sitting here reading about the lack of thunderbird devel over
6 > the next year or two until the new Mozilla project (or whatever you wish
7 > to call it) gets rolling and I'm wondering, what is a good replacement
8 > for Tbird, specifically for KDE.
9 >
10 > I use Evolution when I'm in GNOME at home, but I've really disliked it's
11 > direction recently. KMail works off and on, but might be suitable. But
12 > are there any others out there not built with gtk+ so I don't have to
13 > compile all that just for one app?
14
15 As a KDE user who has GTK+ merged just for pan support, I can identify.
16 =8^( Personally, kmail works well for me. Well, it normally does. I'm
17 trying the kde4 betas lately and my account settings seem to have
18 disappeared due to switching back and forth between kde-3.5 and kde4-svn,
19 but putting them back in worked, and that's the sort of inconveniences
20 that one running betas gets used to, on occasion, but other than that,
21 I've been quite happy with kmail.
22
23 Note that I use the pop3 and local maildir delivery features only,
24 however. While kmail supports IMAP, I understand it hasn't been as
25 smoothly handled until recently, and possibly still isn't, altho IMAP
26 should work in general. If you don't use or can avoid IMAP, kmail is
27 nice. If you do use IMAP and can't conveniently avoid it, then I know
28 there's basic support at least, but I can't fairly say how good it is as
29 I've not used the IMAP side myself, but have read it's not the same.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list