From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sudden sound loss
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:49:07
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
3 > 47FDFD4E.1050301@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 10 Apr 2008
4 > 07:43:10 -0400:
5 >
6 > OK, simple stuff first.
7 >
8 > If you hadn't changed the kernel or alsa about the time it happened...
9 > you mentioned the sound card was still right and the volume was up, but
10 > didn't mention whether you checked the mute.
11 >
12 > Also, check any switches. On some cards, switching the digital sound on
13 > switches analog sound off and the reverse. There may also be a toggle
14 > switch for the on-card amplifier.
15 >
16 > You don't mention your setup. Here for instance the computer output is
17 > to a regular home audio system channel input. If your system is similar,
18 > check that the system in question still plays the radio or other input,
19 > IOW, that it's the computer that's out not the home audio system, and
20 > check the cabling between the two. If you run directly off the card to
21 > speakers, make sure they're plugged in, and if powered, that they have
22 > power and are on.
23 >
24 > Try using alsamixer from a terminal window or the console command line as
25 > your mixer. I've noted that sometimes the regular GUI mixers get mixed
26 > up and don't show the critical controls. In particular, I had a card at
27 > one point that had a mute or toggle of some sort that about half of the
28 > GUI mixers couldn't see or control, but alsamixer could. It had to be in
29 > the right position to play, so for awhile, at every boot, I had to load
30 > alsamixer and toggle that switch, before I got sound. After that, I
31 > could use whatever GUI mixer I wanted to control volumes and the like,
32 > but I had to use alsamixer to turn it on properly at every boot. While
33 > that issue is long since resolved, since then, every time I have a
34 > problem, I use alsamixer to see what's really going on.
35 >
36 > Finally, while testing, use a player that has a visual output as well.
37 > That way, you can /see/ if it's actually playing, too. I've had a couple
38 > times with sound servers and/or Internet audio streams where it was
39 > supposed to be playing according to the input graph (the incoming
40 > Internet stream or player into the sound server), but the output graphic
41 > was flatlined, indicating there was no actual sound being played (due to
42 > a buffering error, either with the Internet stream or with the sound
43 > server). In both cases, I thought it was alsa or the amplifier until I
44 > noticed the flatlined activity monitor indicating nothing actually
45 > playing.
48 I've only ever run alsamixer from the console. I've never used a gui to
49 configure sound. It doesn't look muted in alsamixer.
50
51 This system is a laptop and the output goes either out the onboard
52 speakers, or most of the time headphones connected to the on board jack.
53
54 And on of the first things I checked was whether I wasn't hearing sound
55 because of a funny stream, etc, so I loaded up audacious and played a
56 couple of MP3s to see the output. Still no sound. I'm so totally
57 confused by this. I don't recall a recent alsa update, and I know the
58 hardware is okay (at least it seems to be) since my system dual boots to
59 XP and I get great sound from it. (Sadly)
65 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
68 Mark Haney
69 Sr. Systems Administrator
70 ERC Broadband
71 (828) 350-2415
72
73 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
74 --
75 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list