From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] clone system
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:59:48
1 2008/11/18 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>:
2 > I have two amd64 boxes, one is athlon64 5600 dual core, AMD chipset,
3 > 'radeonhd' video driver, the other is an older athlon64 3000+ single
4 > core, VIA chipset, 'radeon' video driver. I installed the VIA-based by
5 > just copying the whole / directory from the AMD-based, with custom-built
6 > kernel, and rebuilding the xserver.
7 >
8 > In the future I'd like to do the 'emerge -uDV world' compilation only on
9 > the dual core.
10 >
11 > Is there a way to keep the older system up-to-date without compiling on
12 > it anything except the kernel and the xserver, e.g. by copying the
13 > updated files over the network? I know I could set up distcc and let the
14 > single-core do the linking only, I was wondering if there is an even
15 > quicker method like network copy of pre-compiled binaries.
16 >
17 > raffaele
20 use icecream. it's far lot easier to set up than the distcc and is
21 arch independent. also you should set up a single portage server on
22 nfs (on gentoo-wiki there's an how to about this). after pushing on
23 the compilation you could add an rsync to the update at the end. you
24 should install the same kernel and xorg drivers on both and then rsync
25 them.
26 the thing would be something like this:
27 1 portage tree (see gentoo-wiki and forum on how to set it up)
28 set up icecream (on the forums or on the wiki should be something)
29 server and client to use both pcs for compilation.
30 set up portage to compile in tmpfs to speed up compilation time (wiki
31 and forums on how to do it).
32 create a script that does this:
33 from one of the 2 pcs does: update portage, compile, rsync -a
34 --delete-delay --force --stats from the disk on which you update to
35 the other pc. for rsync do some tries to see how to mirror stuff in
36 the right way (see man page for more help on commands).
39 dott. ing. beso