From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:58:21
1 On 06/17/2009 10:19 PM, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
2 >> 2. Perfectly fast X/virtual console switching - I mean - Wow! I still, from
3 >> time to time, just sit there switching between the two a couple times just
4 >> to watch the speed and smoothness - it's amazing...
5 >
6 > I wonder, what are the negatives of moving modesetting to kernel from
7 > userspace ? Will we be loosing some functionality (at least temperarily) ?
8 > How will, say, choosing mode on external distplay work ?
9
10 No negative sides to it, really. Speed will also benefit (not directly
11 from KMS but rather from TTM/GEM) since the biggest problem with the
12 open source drivers right now is the lack of a memory manager (this is
13 the main reason why the closed source drivers perform better by an order
14 of magnitude, even though they have the memory manager in user space).
15
16 I'm not sure about the mode for external displays. The configuration
17 will probably still happen at the same place, though under the hood the
18 work will be done by the kernel.