From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 07:33:25
1 On Friday 18 May 2007 23:45:42 Peter Davoust wrote:
2 > Actually, I wanted to ask a some what unrelated question as well: I've
3 > heard it's possible to update kernel without rebooting, and while I'm
4 > not sure of the advisability, I'm getting things to work here and I'd
5 > like to not have to reboot my computer so many times. Besides, it just
6 > sounds cool. Could someone tell me how to do it?
7
8 I've done it before via kexec, but I don't remember exactly how. Google for:
9 linux kexec how-to
10 and you should get some useful links.
11
12 I really should try and convince my computer to kexec again. It takes forever
13 to initialize my hw RAID card and the BIOS felt slow even before that card
14 was added.
15
16 There's also the older and more flakey method of modifying a running kernel by
17 writing to /proc/kcore, but I've not actually seen code to load a new kernel
18 that way, only code to hide a (GPL'd) rootkit in a running kerenl.
21 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
22 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
23 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
24 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/