From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: portage dependency?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:45:47
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 494FE6D7.2060408@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Dec 2008
3 14:13:27 -0500:
4
5 > I've been updating my system after having some surgery and taking time
6 > off from everything and I've noticed a funny thing. Certain packages are
7 > requiring that I install v2.1.4.5 or portage (I'm running 2.1.6.2 now)
8 > before updating the other packages. Why is that?
9
10 So you're saying they're asking you to downgrade? Do you have an example
11 and is it in the main tree or some overlay (which)?
12
13 I /think/ that'd be a bug as to date portage has been backward compatible
14 such that new versions should handle old ebuilds just fine, but I can't
15 say for sure without an example to look at the code on and see what it's
16 actually trying to do, where and why.
17
18 What I suspect is happening is that it's depending on a specific portage
19 version, say =2.1.4*, instead of a slot, which portage should support
20 everything at least in the main tree. IOW it shouldn't be happening in
21 the main tree. However, it could still be occurring in some obscure
22 overlay that doesn't get much testing from ~portage, maybe one that has
23 mostly paludis or pkgcore users?
24
25 But it's all speculation until there's an example to look at, and the
26 problem sounds strange enough I'm doubting I'm reading what you said
27 correctly in the first place.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman