From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS Was: slaveryware
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 01:00:22
1 On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:01, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS Was:
3 slaveryware':
4 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
5 > 200609300330.48229.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sat, 30
6 > Sep 2006 03:30:44 -0500:
7 > [on Linksys WRT compatible routers]
8 > If I go that route, I'd either get the Linux model or a compatible unit
9 > from someone else. (I know they exist but don't know specifically which
10 > ones are and are not compatible with the WRT firmwares, at this time, so
11 > if I were buying now, it'd be the Linksys Linux model.)
12
13 OpenWRT's wiki had (and probably still has) a rather large, but probably
14 not comprehensive list of hardware that will run their distribution, along
15 with some specs re: flash and ram size. Of course, any hw listed should
16 also be able to run smaller distributions (like DD-WRT) as well.
17
18 > I figure low end bare-bones, with a smallish <100GB hard drive
19 > and using an extra
20 > half-gig RAM stick I already have, would run ~$300-ish.
21 > So... anybody have any opinions on this? Should I go straight 32-bit or
22 > 64-bit Gentoo?
23
24 Depends on the actual usage profile, but if, other than routing, it is
25 going to be idle 90% of the time the lower memory profile of 32-bit linux
26 should outweigh the extra registers of 64-bit linux and the extra
27 instructions and address space won't be used.
28
29 > > While the HD isn't upgradable, the iRiver H10 line will run Rockbox.
30 >
31 > I've been looking at the H10 line, and I /think/ some of them might
32 > actually be HD upgradable, now.
33 > Do you know for sure that the current 20 gig (or maybe 30 gig) aren't
34 > hard drive upgradeable?
35
36 I was at the iriveramerica site earlier this week and remember it saying
37 neither the HD nor the battery was replaceable. That said, sometimes
38 official websites give out information the manufacturer *wants* to be
39 true, so rockbox or other project sites might be better information -- in
40 any case, the iriveramerica site, after a little bit of fighting, can do
41 interactively queried about the devices.
44 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
45 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
46 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
47 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh