From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:50:02
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > A discussion on another list made me realize I'm a little tired of
3 > Gnome. It does what I need, mostly, but it feels sort of old and dry.
4 > I haven't run KDE in years but I'm hesitant to build it and keep it up
5 > to date. I really think I'd like something more minimalistic. I ran
6 > fluxbox years ago and liked that it was small and fast but at the time
7 > getting to apps was a hand-crafted menu editing task that I'd rather
8 > not repeat today.
9 >
10 > QUESTION: Is there something small, fast but also easy to use in
11 > terms of the environment automatically creating menus when apps are
12 > added or removed with emerge?
13 >
14 > From a pure-fun standpoint something 3D might be fun, but I don't
15 > need it and expect that my old ATI Radeon X300 card probably isn't up
16 > to the task anyway.
17 >
18 > How do others choose a window manager and what do you value in your
19 > window manager that makes you stick with it?
20
21 I use KDE4 and keep XFCE as a backup. I use KDM as login manager and
22 it easily lets me choose which one I want. I use only XFCE on my
23 laptop because compiling gnome or KDE is just too much work for it. I
24 could easily use XFCE (or Gnome) as primary desktop environment and be
25 happy, but I'm just used to KDE.