From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Ethereal and KDE
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:32:56
1 I've not tried 3D accel, however, I am able to get the default 1280X800
2 resolution with this config. I have a bookmarked URL that walks you
3 through the setup of the ATI drivers. If I can find, I'll post. I used
4 the Linux proprietary ATI drivers from the ATI website (the RPM version
5 is the only one available) the ran RPM2TGZ to convert to a tarball and
6 extracted and ran the fglrxconfig and slightly modified the xorg.conf
7 that is generated. Note in the attached file the 'MODELINE' line that I
8 added. That's what works to get the resolution. I make no promises
9 with 3D as I don't use my system for it.
10
11 As for sound, I suggest building the kernel with the ATI IXP sound
12 module builtin. That was all I needed to do other than tweak alsa's
13 settings a bit.
14
15 For Ethereal, I can't get the GUI to even open up. I can use tethereal,
16 but I'd prefer the GUI since I'm analyzing packets from another system
17 and don't want to have to boot into Fedora or (gasp!) XP just to view
18 the capture file.
19
20 HTH.
21
22 Celso Soccol wrote:
23
24 > I have the same laptop, I cant make the 3D acceleration and the sound
25 > to work? What drivers did you use? Can you send me a copy of your
26 > xorg.conf?
27 > The ethereal works fine for me under KDE until I try to capture the
28 > traffic. Then it crashes.
31 > */Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>/* escreveu:
32 >
33 > I'm having a heck of a time getting the Ethereal ebuild to work under
34 > KDE. What USE options do I need enabled to have it work on my system?
35 > It's a Compaq R4000 Athlon64 laptop. So far, everything else works
36 > great. This has been the only real issue I've had. I'm not a linux
37 > newbie, but I am relatively new to gentoo so please be gentle. If
38 > Ethereal doesn't work well in KDE, are there KDE protocol
39 > analyzers that
40 > work with Ethereal capture files?
43 > --
44 > Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
45 >
46 > Mark Haney
47 > Systems Administrator
48 > ERC Broadband
49 > (828) 350-2415
50 >
51 > --
52 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
53 >
54 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
55 > Promoção Yahoo! Acesso Grátis: a cada hora navegada você acumula
56 > cupons e concorre a mais de 500 prêmios! Participe!
57 > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/br/taglines/*http://yahoo.fbiz.com.br/>
62 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
63
64 Mark Haney
65 Systems Administrator
66 ERC Broadband