From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] HLA
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:33:02
1 On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 14:11 -0600, Greg wrote:
2 > Do any of you use HLA (Randy Hyde's high level assembler)?
3 >
4 > I downloaded a copy recently and had no trouble running it on a 32bit CentOS system, but I've had several problems getting
5 > it to compile under my amd64 gentoo machine.
6 >
7 > One problem was flex, but updating to the latest alpha version of flex fixed that issue.
8 >
9 > The other issue I'm having is with gas. It doesn't seem to like the pushl and popl psuto opts found in hlaasm.gas.
10 >
11 > Anyone have any suggestions? I thought I'd try picking your brains first since several web searches aren't showing any
12 > similar problems listed.
13 >
14 > Thanks in advance,
15 > Greg
18 Hi, Greg.
19
20 Assembly code is not portable between x86 and amd64, in general.
21 Anything including assembler will need to have two copies of it. If
22 there's only one copy, then this program won't build in 64-bit, and you
23 will need to build it 32-bit. This can be done; It generally amounts to
24 adding -m32 to CFLAGS and convincing any configure-type scripts that
25 it's on a 32-bit system.
26
27 If there *is* 64-bit assembly, then it's probably just a matter of
28 passing the correct flags to the configuration system to get it to
29 realize it's building on an amd64 box.
30
31 Daniel