From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:30:47
1 Jesús Guerrero posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:18:56 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, August 28, 2009 01:52, Duncan wrote:
4 >> Jesús Guerrero posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:08:07 +0200 as excerpted:
7 >>> Just for the record, things like compiz work preferctly in an nvidia
8 >>> 6200, agp. They will work without a problem in an hd2600 which is a
9 >>> much
10 >>> better card, agp as well.
11 >>
12 >> Hmm, I wasn't aware the Radeons (I assume you're talking about here, I
13 >> don't even bother with nVidia any more and have no idea their model
14 >> numbers) had AGP available beyond the r5xx (thru x1950) series. Got a
15 >> link? But I hadn't finished researching and actually bought, either.
16 >
17 > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?
18 CatId=318&name=AGP%20Video%20Cards
19 >
20 > The first thing I found in google, you can see there an nvidia geforce
21 > 7600, it's agp. The 7xxx is the last series of nvidia with agp support,
22 > though in some parts it's quite difficult to find one.
23
24 Well, the nVidia might be nice, but I asked specifically for Radeon (tho
25 other well freedomware driver supported or headed that way card would
26 work) as well as AGP, because Radeon is AFAIK the best freedomware
27 supported hardware available.
28
29 But... (vv)
30
31 > You can also see an ati radeon 2400 there, I own one however I can't say
32 > I am really happy with it. But that's another story and I don't want to
33 > spoil the thread more than it already is.
34
35 hd2400, right? I'll have to take a look, now that I know it's
36 available. That's r6xx I believe, and while freedomware support is still
37 a bit rough, come about the end of the year or early next, it should be
38 coming right into its own.
39
40 Plus at least the PCI-E versions I saw were substantially cheaper than
41 the $150 x1950 I was looking at. But while an r6xx chip, the x1950 is
42 top of the r5xx line while the hd2400 is near the bottom of the r6xx
43 line, so the x1950 may well be better performing.
44
45 > My only point is there there are *lots* of agp cards that are more than
46 > capable of doing desktop effects of any kind. The beryl/compiz stuff was
47 > born much before pci-e was in our houses. :)
48
49 Yes, but Intel is on-board-only, AFAIK, so out as far as an expansion
50 card, nVidia freedomware drivers just aren't there yet and may never be
51 without nVidia's cooperation at least on documentation (and they'd still
52 be out for me, as they are NOT cooperating, and there's a reasonable
53 alternative that is), Via has started to cooperate and got a big boost in
54 freedomware points for hiring Herald Welte as their FLOSS community
55 liason but is a good year behind AMD/ATI, Matrox seems to be out of the
56 game now or at least it's been a very long time since I read about any
57 new product... and the only one left is AMD/ATI with their Radeons.
58
59 Now, on the Radeons, thru the r5xx chips (thus thru x1950 cards) are well
60 supported now, and the r6xx and r7xx are getting there but will be
61 another few months. But I (obviously mistakenly) thought the r5xx was as
62 high as AGP went, so I thought the x1950 was the top of the line in terms
63 of what I could upgrade to.
64
65 It may still be that the x1950 is my top option, but I know there's r6xx
66 AGP cards now, something I didn't know before, and so at least have
67 another option, and it may be I now have equal performance at better than
68 that $150 the x1950 seems to run, or better performance at about the same
69 price. I have the extra option to research, now.
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman