From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:44:55
1 > Well, the nVidia might be nice, but I asked specifically for Radeon (tho
2 > other well freedomware driver supported or headed that way card would work)
3 > as well as AGP, because Radeon is AFAIK the best freedomware supported
4 > hardware available.
5 >
6 > But... (vv)
7
8 I think that yes, along with intel. Couldn't tell you what's better
9 supported. Expect trouble with r6xx based cards *right now*, though.
10 3d doesn't work, at least not officially. Work is being done, but not
11 quite ready for production.
12
13 If you need 3d acceleration with the open driver, then use an older
14 card, r5xx based.
15
16 >> You can also see an ati radeon 2400 there, I own one however I can't
17 >> say I am really happy with it. But that's another story and I don't want
18 >> to spoil the thread more than it already is.
19 >
20 > hd2400, right? I'll have to take a look, now that I know it's available.
21 > That's r6xx I believe, and while freedomware support is still
22 > a bit rough, come about the end of the year or early next, it should be
23 > coming right into its own.
24
25 I own a 2400 and I can tell you it's a pain to
26 get radeon working with it. Not even 2d works ok (no dri, which means
27 not even 2d acceleration, very slow, and NO XVIDEO, which is a major
28 flaw). For some others it seems to work ok. It doesn't seem to work
29 too well with multihead, maybe my problems come because of that, I
30 don't really know.
31
32 As you say, the radeon/radeonhd driveris coming, slowly, but eventually
33 it will catch up, however, *right now*, if you plan to use OSS drivers
34 only, you are better with older hardware. They might work on some months,
35 but it could very well take more time, it just depends on how the thing
36 develops.
40 Jesús Guerrero