From: "Thomas Rösner" <thomas.roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 12:03:05

Am 06.05.2012 20:29, schrieb Frank Peters:
> Hello, > > I recently acquired a Seagate USB external HDD but could not get it > to function on my Gentoo Linux.
Back in the olden days to most common mistake with custom build kernels was not having SCSI disk support compiled in, but now that basically everyone uses SATA that should not be what you're missing. Note that the SCSI disk driver is not the sg driver. sg works for everything attached to SCSI (a scanner, for example) and doesn't have the required functionality. What you also need is sd (which creates the accordingly named /dev/sd? device). If it still doesn't work if you'd post your dmesg output so we can check what is missing/unusual. With kind regards, Thomas

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>