From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: agtdino@××××××××.es, mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl
Cc: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] HostAPD & ralink
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:52:50
1 On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:07:02 +0100
2 Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl> wrote:
3
4 > agtdino pisze:
5 > > Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61,
6 > > when I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
7 > > exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
8 > > cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
9 > > Prism :(
10 > >
11 > > Any help will be apreciated.
12 > >
13 > > Thank and regards
16 > Ok, if You use hostAP you should have WiFi card that allows to run in AP
17 > mode - most of new cards have it. But when hostAP was written, only
18 > couple chipsets have ability to run in AP. If You cannot run on RT/RA
19 > link card with hostAP, there is some probability, that this card is not
20 > supported with hostAP packege. I've having RT/RaLink card on PCMCIA but,
21 > this card can run in AP mode under windows only with WINDOWS DRIVERS.
22 > Simple: hostap is not packege for Your card.
23
24 Actually, hostapd DOES work with ralink chipsets.
25 I had a rt2500 device working as master some time ago.
26
27 You must use the rt2x00 driver and not the legacy ones.
28 Also, the rt2x00 version that used to work with hostapd is dropped
29 since they adopted a new wifi stack.
30
31 ..So, you should use the new rt2x00 drivers that are merged
32 into the kernel.
33
34 Have a look at this post:
35 http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4203&highlight=hostapd&sid=a110c6950d0a132108961fe6c4cfa1c6
36
37 You may want look deeper in the forum as the link above was
38 the the quickest result I found.
41 > PS: ndiswrapper allso don't work.
42 > --
43 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list