From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Recovering from emerge --prune
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:04:56
1 "Jonathan Schaeffer" <joschaeffer@×××××.com> posted
2 d60596f50605152339u5a5173c6s7659c73403a95308@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 16 May 2006 08:39:10 +0200:
4
5 > just for improving my knowledge of the Gentoo system, I tried out the
6 > emerge -P option (... well one would say reading the man page is a
7 > good way to learn too)
8
9 Yeah... that's a mistake I don't believe you'll do again! How many times
10 does it have to be said, use --pretend on any emerge operation,
11 PARTICULARLY when unmerging, and check for sanity before actually doing it!?
12
13 Hopefully, your post averts someone else's mistake. =8^)
14
15 > Allwright, the system is broken but it seems that it is recoverable.
16 > emerge -uDN world will recompile the libraries I've lost.
17
18 Right. Of course, if you were using FEATURES=buildpkg, you'd have binary
19 versions of everything, so it'd likely be a matter of half an hour's work
20 to remerge them. Features=buildpkg is my favorite under-publicised portage
21 feature! =8^) It's saved my butt several times, now! You may wish to
22 read up on it right away, and consider turning it on before you start
23 rebuilding things. That'll give you a head-start at getting all your
24 packages backed up in binary package format, and you'll be better prepared
25 the next time something goes wrong. (If you are worried about space,
26 you'll need 2 gig minimum for binary copies of all packages in a full
27 desktop system. It won't take quite that much, but you do want to be able
28 to upgrade stuff and have both copies on hand for awhile, in case you need
29 to revert to the old version. 4 gigs is better -- you won't have to
30 clean out old packages as often.)
31
32 > While doing this, an error occured in emerging grub. This is what
33 > shows up in the config.log
34
35 Unfortunately, I can't help you there. I might be able to trial and error
36 my way thru fixing it if it occurred here, but I see anything I'm familiar
37 enough with to dare trying to explain.
38
39 One thing you might try... emerge grub-static for the time being. That's
40 a binary no-compile version. If you want the self-compiled one later, try
41 grub again, after everything else is merged. That might well cure the
42 problem, and is what I'd try in that situation.
43
44 Also... note that grub is 32-bit. It's possible your 32-bit side isn't
45 set up quite right, while the 64-bit side is still working fine. I've had
46 that happen a couple times. You may need to get a known-good binary
47 package glibc, to bootstrap a working 32-bit glibc, again. I had to do
48 that at one point. Before you do that, however, try merging it with
49 FEATURES=-sandbox. It's possible your 32-bit sandbox is screwed up, and
50 it'll work if you merge without that. (If you are worried about security,
51 try FEATURES=userpriv whenever you turn off sandbox. It doesn't always
52 work and you have to go without both, but sometimes it does.)
53
54 Shots in the dark and true, I can't explain how they'd fix the problem
55 you reported, but maybe one of them will have gotten lucky and hit whatever
56 your problem is. =8^)
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list