From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 01:07:01
1 On 10/4/05, Karol Krizka <kkrizka@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have been following the music with linux kernel thread and I started
5 > wondering what would be the best patchset for a desktop use. I have
6 > read the Gentoo Kernel Guide and from it seems to me that ck-sources
7 > are the best.
8 >
9 > What do you use on your desktop? Are there any other patches that you
10 > would recommend? Is there any patches your would recommed for a
11 > laptop?
14 I think that it really depends on your needs. I'm very happy right now
15 with the very latest testing kernel from the developers. Basically
16
17 2.6.14-rc3 + rt7
18
19 However many others might not be. It was hard to find a configuration
20 that compiled. Once I did the side effects so far have been very
21 minimal. Then again my application is essentially recording studio
22 oriented. I need very low real time latencies. This kernel is giving
23 me that, but there are costs, such as no ATI driver support, etc.
24
25 So, I think it really depends on your needs.
26
27 As for ck-sources, it builds for me and it does run, but so farit
28 doesn't seem to play with the Jack server and Jack apps very well. I
29 expect it's me and not ck-sources, but I don't know.
30
31 So, my desktop usage is probably very different from yours and we end
32 up making different choices.
33
34 My 2 cents,
35 Mark