From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Weird X bug
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:53:26
1 >> I've got this weird X bug: Sometimes X will have the numpad stuck on
2 >> mouse control mode (where numbers move the mouse, + is a left click,
3 >> etc...normally activated by holding down NumLock for 5secs), and I can
4 >> find no way to get it to go back to normal input. Holding down NumLock
5 >> doesn't fix it, and I can find no documentation about a way to poke X to
6 >> make it stop. I'm posting to this particular list because as far as I can
7 >> remember, this has only happened on this computer (amd64 + nvidia...don't
8 >> think I've ever had problems with 32bit CPUs). Has anybody had this
9 >> happen? Any clues at all?
10 >
11 > When I've had strange stuff like that happen, and from the posts of
12 > others I've read, the culprit more often than not turns out to be the
13 > keyboard going bad, maybe because it got wet or something, or for a
14 > wireless keyboard, a low battery or a bad link between the keyboard and
15 > its pickup).
16 >
17 > So... check to see if your numlock key is jammed on... It might be
18 > worthwhile to try swapping out the keyboard, just to be sure. If you're
19 > not in a place with others available, consider buying a junk keyboard for
20 > backup and testing purposes. They're available for well under US$10, if
21 > you look around.
22
23 I have had this happen with many systems already, including laptops,
24 desktops, wireless keyboards and even cheap 10$ ones.
25 Using KDE you can go into kcontrol, Peripherals -> Mouse -> Mouse
26 Navigation
27 Activate it, apply, deactivate it, apply. It usually works for me.
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list