From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Weird X bug
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:58:54
1 Kyle Liddell posted <1128404697.15000.48.camel@athlon>, excerpted below,
2 on Tue, 04 Oct 2005 00:44:56 -0500:
3
4 > I've got this weird X bug: Sometimes X will have the numpad stuck on
5 > mouse control mode (where numbers move the mouse, + is a left click,
6 > etc...normally activated by holding down NumLock for 5secs), and I can
7 > find no way to get it to go back to normal input. Holding down NumLock
8 > doesn't fix it, and I can find no documentation about a way to poke X to
9 > make it stop. I'm posting to this particular list because as far as I can
10 > remember, this has only happened on this computer (amd64 + nvidia...don't
11 > think I've ever had problems with 32bit CPUs). Has anybody had this
12 > happen? Any clues at all?
13
14 When I've had strange stuff like that happen, and from the posts of
15 others I've read, the culprit more often than not turns out to be the
16 keyboard going bad, maybe because it got wet or something, or for a
17 wireless keyboard, a low battery or a bad link between the keyboard and
18 its pickup).
19
20 So... check to see if your numlock key is jammed on... It might be
21 worthwhile to try swapping out the keyboard, just to be sure. If you're
22 not in a place with others available, consider buying a junk keyboard for
23 backup and testing purposes. They're available for well under US$10, if
24 you look around.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
30 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list