From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:58:56
1 On Thu, August 27, 2009 18:27, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Sebastian
3 > Beßler<sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Paul Hartman schrieb:
6 >>
7 >>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM, BRM<bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Not everyone upgrades their video card every 6 months.
10 >>>> Most probably get a video card upgrade only when they buy a new
11 >>>> computer; and most don't buy a new computer every other year either,
12 >>>> probably more like 4 years or so.
13 >>>
14 >>> You can get a GeForce 9600 for around USD$50, which comes near the
15 >>> performance of the famously-expensive 8800 series (or at least near
16 >>> enough for costing hundreds of dollars less), and has an H.264
17 >>> decoder so you can use vdpau with mplayer or mythtv to allow even very
18 >>> slow computers to play high-res video smoothly.
19 >>
20 >> Many mainboards from that time only have AGP not PCI-E and to get a
22 >> with AGP is not easy or even possible, so that is not really a option.
23 >
24 > I have an old Pentium 4 box which has a PCI-E video card. If a
25 > computer is so old it doesn't even have PCI-E, its owner probably wouldn't
26 > expect 3D desktop effects to work so well in the first place.
27
28 Just for the record, things like compiz work preferctly in an nvidia
29 6200, agp. They will work without a problem in an hd2600 which is a much
30 better card, agp as well. The cpu is a sempron 3000+, which works at a
31 clock rate of 1800 I think. You haven't researched much. AGP is not equal
32 to Geforce 2 mx or 3dfx, you know...
33
34 Being that said, I have zero interest in desktop effect. I don't even have
35 compositing enabled, It's useless stuff for me. So I really don't care
36 about this stuff. Just pointing out the error.
39 Jesús Guerrero