From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:18:18
1 On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Sebastian
2 Beßler<sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Paul Hartman schrieb:
4 >> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM, BRM<bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Not everyone upgrades their video card every 6 months.
6 >>> Most probably get a video card upgrade only when they buy a new computer;
7 >>> and most don't buy a new computer every other year either, probably more like 4 years or so.
8 >>
9 >> You can get a GeForce 9600 for around USD$50, which comes near the
10 >> performance of the famously-expensive 8800 series (or at least near
11 >> enough for costing hundreds of dollars less), and has an H.264 decoder
12 >> so you can use vdpau with mplayer or mythtv to allow even very slow
13 >> computers to play high-res video smoothly.
14 >
15 > Many mainboards from that time only have AGP not PCI-E and to get a 9600
16 > with AGP is not easy or even possible, so that is not really a option.
17
18 I have an old Pentium 4 box which has a PCI-E video card. If a
19 computer is so old it doesn't even have PCI-E, its owner probably
20 wouldn't expect 3D desktop effects to work so well in the first place.
21
22 My old PII 266MHz had an AGP 3dfx card. I wonder if KDE4 desktop
23 effects would run well on that? :)
26 > And even if it is possible why trash a card that most of the time works
27 > and needs only a fraction of the power of a modern card?
28
29 If your primary concern is power usage, you're probably not going to
30 use the desktop effects anyway. To improve performance, which is what
31 I thought we were talking about, you could get a better-performing
32 card.
33
34 I could ride a horse to work but I choose to drive a car instead
35 because it is faster. :)