From: anorexicsumo <anorexicsumo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] More mencoder fun
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:58:27
1 On 9/25/07, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Okay, I'm obviously a newbie at video encoding. I'm trying to encode a
3 > file with xvid with mencoder. All the HOWTOs on the web indicate I do
4 > it this way (or similar):
5 >
6 > -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
7 >
8 > with mencoder, however, when I do that I get this:
9 >
10 > MEncoder SVN-r24130 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
11 >
12 > -xvidencopts is not an MEncoder option
13 >
14 > Is this due to xvid maybe not being compiled into mencoder? Do I need
15 > to add xvid (or similar) to my make options? Or is this a deprecated
16 > option?
17 >
18 > I can't find this option in the man page, so I'm really confused. Any help?
19
20 You should build with the xvid use flag. Every use flag that you
21 would want to encode with really.
22
23 Try mencoder -ovc help and see if xvid is available.
26 Here is a very simple command that uses xvid and lame.
27
28 mencoder -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=800 -o test.avi
29 ~/generals_and_majors_drink_from_my_cup.mp4
30
31 -xvidencopts expects some xvid configuration options after it. At a
32 minimum you'll need to give it either a bitrate like I've done here
33 or a fixed_quant=x (x must be between 1 and 31).
36 You'd be better off using some of the more advanced xvid options and 2
37 pass encoding if you want it to look good. If you really really want
38 it to look good I'd move right on to x264 and skip xvid, but thats
39 another matter.
40
41 Hope that helps.
45 aim: cyst23
46 email: anorexicsumo@×××××.com
47
48 "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating
49 badgers into the area." - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
50 --
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list