From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] More mencoder fun
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:36:56
1 anorexicsumo wrote:
2 > On 9/25/07, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Okay, I'm obviously a newbie at video encoding. I'm trying to encode a
4 >> file with xvid with mencoder. All the HOWTOs on the web indicate I do
5 >> it this way (or similar):
6 >>
7 >> -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
8 >>
9 >> with mencoder, however, when I do that I get this:
10 >>
11 >> MEncoder SVN-r24130 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
12 >>
13 >> -xvidencopts is not an MEncoder option
14 >>
15 >> Is this due to xvid maybe not being compiled into mencoder? Do I need
16 >> to add xvid (or similar) to my make options? Or is this a deprecated
17 >> option?
18 >>
19 >> I can't find this option in the man page, so I'm really confused. Any help?
20 >
21 > You should build with the xvid use flag. Every use flag that you
22 > would want to encode with really.
23 >
24 > Try mencoder -ovc help and see if xvid is available.
27 > Here is a very simple command that uses xvid and lame.
28 >
29 > mencoder -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=800 -o test.avi
30 > ~/generals_and_majors_drink_from_my_cup.mp4
31 >
32 > -xvidencopts expects some xvid configuration options after it. At a
33 > minimum you'll need to give it either a bitrate like I've done here
34 > or a fixed_quant=x (x must be between 1 and 31).
37 > You'd be better off using some of the more advanced xvid options and 2
38 > pass encoding if you want it to look good. If you really really want
39 > it to look good I'd move right on to x264 and skip xvid, but thats
40 > another matter.
41 >
42 > Hope that helps.
46 Yes that helps a great deal. How does x264 stack up on file size? Does
47 it play 'out of the box' on a windows system? I've been struggling to
48 get a decent quality/filesize ratio for a video going on our website.
52 Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
55 Mark Haney
56 Sr. Systems Administrator
57 ERC Broadband
58 (828) 350-2415
59
60 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
61 --
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list