From: John Myers <electronerd@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [Slightly OT] hard lock - AMD64/ck-sources/schedtool/qjackctl
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:58:23
1 On Tuesday 20 September 2005 16:59, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > However, if at this point I try to stop the jack server from within
3 > QJC the machine locks hard and only a reset button push gets it going
4 > again.
5 Dragging this thread further off-topic, did you know about the Magic SysRq
6 option?
7
8 If you have the option enabled in the kernel (Kernel hacking -> kernel
9 debugging -> Magic SysRq key), you can give the kernel a few really useful
10 comands, usually even if there's a runaway process blocking everything.
11
12 see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt for more details but here's the
13 basics:
14 To activate a Magic SysRq function, press
15 Alt + SysRq (Print Screen) + the key corresponding to the function
16 all at once.
17
18 If you want to use more than one function, you can hold Alt + SysRq while
19 pressing and releasing several of the operation keys in sequence
20
21 Handy options include:
22 Name |key| Description
23 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
24 Nice | n | Reset all processes to normal priorities (i.e. force runaway
25 | | RT tasks to yield the processor
26 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
27 tErm | e | Send SIGTERM to all processes except init
28 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
29 kIll | i | Send SIGKILL to all processes except init
30 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
31 Sync | s | attempt to sync all mounted filesystems (not always possible
32 | | or immediate, especially if other stuff is still hogging the
33 | | system)
34 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
35 Umount | u | attempts to remount all mounted filesystems R/O (same caveat
36 | | as for Sync)
37 ----------+---+--------------------------------------------------------------
38 reBoot | b | immediately reboot the system. 99.9% as effective as a
39 | | hardware reset button. Just as dangerous. I reccomend trying
40 | | Nice, tErm, kIll, Sync, and Umount before using reBoot. Note
41 | | that even if Sync and Umount do not succeed, reBoot probably
42 | | will, so be careful
44 powerOff | o | immediately power off the system (same warnings as reBoot)
46
47 This has gotten me out of a bind several times.