From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: hardware choice
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:04:57
1 On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 >> 2) Main board.
4 >>
5 >> I was advised to get Asus P5K Premium (P35, ICH9) for Q6600. The thing
6 >> is there are models from the P5Q series (like P5Q3) which have a newer
7 >> chipset (P45, ICH10) but the same price. I can't understand why should
8 >> I choose the premium mobo even it's an older model. Please, advise.
9 >
10 > I'd recommend the Asus P5E is you can find it. It's X38 based (slightly
11 > more overclockable then P35 and P45, supports crossfire PCIe x16 while P35
12 > and P45 only have PCIe x8 in crossfire) with FSB1600 and its price is very
13 > good (130€ here).
14
15 Since about 2 months I have a new system. I was also looking into the
16 Asus P5Q series, but noticed that it has a harddisk controller that
17 was not fully supported by the kernel at that time. Eventually I have
18 bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, which runs fine.
19
20 I want to use this new machine for about 5 years. I expect that even
21 on the desktop, multi-threading and parallel execution will become the
22 standard, so I chose a quad-core instead of a dual core (if you play
23 games, you might want to look for dual core with higher MHz).
24
25 This board has extra cooling features that only work with 45 Nm CPU,
26 so I bought a Q9300 instead of Q6600 (which had better value for
27 money). The memory I used: OCZ2RPR10664GK (OCZ, Reaper edition,
28 PC2-8500 @ 1066 MHz, 4 GB Kit). Twice: so a total of 8 GB,
29 /var/tmp/portage and /tmp are mounted as tmpfs..
30
31 Regards,
32
33 Martin