From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: hardware choice
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:47:20
1 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > I've decided to get an Intel based box, but I've not been following
3 > closely the hardware development for more than 5 years. Another
4 > trouble is that most of the people I can ask don't use Gentoo and they
5 > miss the point of "much compiling". So, I need your help.
6 >
7 > 1) CPU:
8 >
9 > model,CPU Freq,FSB Freq,cache,technology
10 >
11 > E8400, 3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB, 45nm
12 > Q8200, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB, 45nm
13 > Q6600, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB, 65nm
14 >
15 > Which one? (please, consider overclocking).
16
17 I would get the E8400 because it overclocks good. Upping the FSB from
18 333 to 400 will give you 3.6GHz (the CPU has a multiplier of x9). That
19 means you can get DDR2 800MHz RAM and run it with an FSB:DRAM ratio of
20 1:1 (400 FSB = 800 DDR). 1:1 FSB:DRAM is the fastest configuration for
21 Intel systems. If you get DDR2 1066 RAM, then you can up the FSB even
22 more while retaining the 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio.
23
24 The E8400 can go up to about 4.4GHz with a good aftermarket cooler.
25 Don't overclock it at all though with the stock cooler.
28 > On the local market those are in the same price range and I'm going to
29 > take Q6600 for the bigger cache (8MB). Is that the correct choice?
30
31 The Q6600 has *less* cache per core than the E8400. The E8400 has 3MB
32 per core while the Q6600 has 2MB per core. Yes, it's shared cache, but
33 for emerges all the core will be used.
34
35 The reason I recommend the dual core over the quad core is that
36 compiling isn't the primary use of a desktop PC. Application
37 performance is, that's why the higher speed per core of the E8400 is IMO
38 better.
41 > 2) Main board.
42 >
43 > I was advised to get Asus P5K Premium (P35, ICH9) for Q6600. The thing
44 > is there are models from the P5Q series (like P5Q3) which have a newer
45 > chipset (P45, ICH10) but the same price. I can't understand why should
46 > I choose the premium mobo even it's an older model. Please, advise.
47
48 I'd recommend the Asus P5E is you can find it. It's X38 based (slightly
49 more overclockable then P35 and P45, supports crossfire PCIe x16 while
50 P35 and P45 only have PCIe x8 in crossfire) with FSB1600 and its price
51 is very good (130€ here).
54 > 3) DDR2
55 >
56 > 600,800 or 1066? The thing confusing me is that the newer CPUs run at
57 > 1333MHz and the older (Q6600) at 1066. So, which DDR2?
58
59 It doesn't matter if the CPU is FSB1333 or FSB1066 because you can run
60 the RAM at whatever speed you want. But as I mentioned earlier, the
61 fastest FSB:DRAM configuration on Intel chips is 1:1, so to up the FSB
62 above 400 while retaining this 1:1 ratio, you'll need 1066 RAM. The
63 timings don't matter that much on Intel, so 5-5-5-15 RAM will perform
64 virtually just as well as 4-4-4-12 RAM.
67 > 4) Overclock
68 >
69 > I intend to overclock the system but not extremely. I've been told
70 > Q6600 would go up to 3GHz w/o any trouble. Is that true?
71
72 Depends on the CPU (not all Q6600 are equal) and motherboard. But in
73 general, 3GHz is easy to get with that CPU. Note: only with a good
74 aftermarket cooler! Don't try with the stock one.
78 > How high
79 > would the other two CPUs go w/o additional cooling and compromising
80 > the stability?
81
82 You don't overclock with the stock cooler. Unless you consider an
83 overclock of, say, 200MHz as overclocking (the Q6600 for example can go
84 from 2.4GHz to 2.6GHz with the stock cooler). Higher than that may be
85 stable at the beginning, but the life of the CPU is greatly diminished.
86 It won't live for long if it runs at 70C while with a better cooler it
87 would run at 50C.
88
89 If you intend to only "overclock" that much, then there's no point in
90 going Intel at all. I'd recommend AMD in that case.