From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:22:04
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200710181500.24885.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:00:24 +0200:
4
5 > On Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007, Evert wrote:
6 >
7 >> I read their text again and noticed: 'OS will allocate 3~4GB memory
8 >> address for onboard device'.
9 >> Wouldn't that mean it's simply a (kernel)configuration issue...?
10 >
11 > no, it is a 'stupid bios' issue. The bios could put the pci/other device
12 > memory space somewhere in the high terrabyte area, but instead it
13 > chooses to put it at the end of the 4gb range, because of historical
14 > reasons.
15
16 This is correct. Here's a bit more detail.
17
18 Many legacy PCI devices (and possibly some PCI-E devices, I don't know as
19 my board is PCI-X, not yet PCI-E) and/or their drivers (mainly a problem
20 with closed source drivers if the device and board handles 64-bit, AFAIK)
21 are designed to run in a 32-bit address space only. As such, PCI device
22 address space is normally located at the top of the 32-bit addressable
23 memory area -- 3.5 to 4 GB. Naturally, if devices are using that address
24 space, it's not available to be used by memory, so there's a "memory
25 hole" at that location -- about a half GB just below the 4 GB boundary,
26 thus under /normal/ circumstances, limiting actual usable/addressable
27 memory to ~3.5 GB if one has 4 GB memory, or ~half a GB less than total
28 memory if one has > 4 GB.
29
30 There is, however, a BIOS workaround, depending on whether the mobo and
31 BIOS installed support it or not. Basically what it does is move the
32 memory otherwise covered by the "hole" up beyond 4 GB, so with 4 GB
33 memory, you'll actually have usable memory addresses running to ~4.5 GB.
34 (Or, some implementations move the entire GB, or even two gigs, so you
35 may see addresses to 5 or even 6 gigs, but only have 4 gigs memory. Mine
36 seems to move 2 gigs, so my 8 gigs memory appears as 10 gigs at POST.)
37
38 If the BIOS supports this memory address move, you'll see one or two
39 different options therein. Since I'm booted ATM I don't have immediate
40 access to my BIOS to check and I don't remember exactly what they are,
41 but I have two separate options here. IIRC one of them is something like
42 "contiguous memory" vs. something else. The other one I don't remember
43 at all ATM, only that I had it. I never was entirely clear at what the
44 specific interaction between them was, but one definitely has to be set
45 correctly to get the addressing working right, while the other... I'm not
46 sure about. I just played with it and a kernel option or two until I got
47 it working.
48
49 However, the first thing is that your BIOS supports it at all. If it
50 doesn't, you're simply SOL, unless you are lucky and they have a BIOS
51 update adding the feature. Unfortunately, given the reply from the
52 board's support people as you quoted, specifically that they didn't
53 mention any such feature at all, it would appear their BIOS doesn't
54 support it, and you are stuck with 3.5 GB. Of course, if they don't
55 support Linux, they may not have known that it can take advantage of such
56 an option given the chance, and may have given you the standard MSWormOS
57 (or whatever) support answer, and their BIOS actually /does/ have the
58 option.
59
60 Note that I've read of advanced users flashing a BIOS with the features
61 they want but designed for another board using the same base chipset. Of
62 course, that's going to void your warrantee and could well end up
63 bricking your board, but it's an option if you want to risk it. It's
64 also possible to replace the BIOS chip itself, and to buy BIOS chips pre-
65 flashed with various BIOS images, so if you decided to go that route, you
66 could buy one flashed with some BIOS with that feature and see if it
67 worked, without risking overwriting the supported BIOS on your current
68 chip. Of course, that's well beyond anything I've tried, and in the
69 general case, if you were advanced enough to work with that sort of
70 thing, you'd probably know all this including the above about the PCI
71 device memory hole already, so it's well beyond anything I'd recommend.
72 However, the option is there if you are suitably determined, and have
73 access to the appropriate resources (a friend that has the tools and
74 knows what they are doing, or funds to purchase the service commercially,
75 or such that the risk of bricking isn't a major worry).
76
77 If you'd like the specific BIOS settings, I can reboot and look them up,
78 but I'm not going to bother unless given the above, you think you might
79 have the options, need to know more, and specifically request that info.
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
87 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list