From: Evert <evert@×××××××.info>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:23:03
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
3 > 200710181500.24885.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
4 > on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:00:24 +0200:
5 >
6 >> On Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007, Evert wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> I read their text again and noticed: 'OS will allocate 3~4GB memory
9 >>> address for onboard device'.
10 >>> Wouldn't that mean it's simply a (kernel)configuration issue...?
11 >> no, it is a 'stupid bios' issue. The bios could put the pci/other device
12 >> memory space somewhere in the high terrabyte area, but instead it
13 >> chooses to put it at the end of the 4gb range, because of historical
14 >> reasons.
15 >
16 > This is correct. Here's a bit more detail.
17 >
18 > Many legacy PCI devices (and possibly some PCI-E devices, I don't know as
19 > my board is PCI-X, not yet PCI-E) and/or their drivers (mainly a problem
20 > with closed source drivers if the device and board handles 64-bit, AFAIK)
21 > are designed to run in a 32-bit address space only. As such, PCI device
22 > address space is normally located at the top of the 32-bit addressable
23 > memory area -- 3.5 to 4 GB. Naturally, if devices are using that address
24 > space, it's not available to be used by memory, so there's a "memory
25 > hole" at that location -- about a half GB just below the 4 GB boundary,
26 > thus under /normal/ circumstances, limiting actual usable/addressable
27 > memory to ~3.5 GB if one has 4 GB memory, or ~half a GB less than total
28 > memory if one has > 4 GB.
29 >
30 > There is, however, a BIOS workaround, depending on whether the mobo and
31 > BIOS installed support it or not. Basically what it does is move the
32 > memory otherwise covered by the "hole" up beyond 4 GB, so with 4 GB
33 > memory, you'll actually have usable memory addresses running to ~4.5 GB.
34 > (Or, some implementations move the entire GB, or even two gigs, so you
35 > may see addresses to 5 or even 6 gigs, but only have 4 gigs memory. Mine
36 > seems to move 2 gigs, so my 8 gigs memory appears as 10 gigs at POST.)
37 >
38 > If the BIOS supports this memory address move, you'll see one or two
39 > different options therein. Since I'm booted ATM I don't have immediate
40 > access to my BIOS to check and I don't remember exactly what they are,
41 > but I have two separate options here. IIRC one of them is something like
42 > "contiguous memory" vs. something else. The other one I don't remember
43 > at all ATM, only that I had it. I never was entirely clear at what the
44 > specific interaction between them was, but one definitely has to be set
45 > correctly to get the addressing working right, while the other... I'm not
46 > sure about. I just played with it and a kernel option or two until I got
47 > it working.
48 >
49 > However, the first thing is that your BIOS supports it at all. If it
50 > doesn't, you're simply SOL, unless you are lucky and they have a BIOS
51 > update adding the feature. Unfortunately, given the reply from the
52 > board's support people as you quoted, specifically that they didn't
53 > mention any such feature at all, it would appear their BIOS doesn't
54 > support it, and you are stuck with 3.5 GB. Of course, if they don't
55 > support Linux, they may not have known that it can take advantage of such
56 > an option given the chance, and may have given you the standard MSWormOS
57 > (or whatever) support answer, and their BIOS actually /does/ have the
58 > option.
59 >
60 > Note that I've read of advanced users flashing a BIOS with the features
61 > they want but designed for another board using the same base chipset. Of
62 > course, that's going to void your warrantee and could well end up
63 > bricking your board, but it's an option if you want to risk it. It's
64 > also possible to replace the BIOS chip itself, and to buy BIOS chips pre-
65 > flashed with various BIOS images, so if you decided to go that route, you
66 > could buy one flashed with some BIOS with that feature and see if it
67 > worked, without risking overwriting the supported BIOS on your current
68 > chip. Of course, that's well beyond anything I've tried, and in the
69 > general case, if you were advanced enough to work with that sort of
70 > thing, you'd probably know all this including the above about the PCI
71 > device memory hole already, so it's well beyond anything I'd recommend.
72 > However, the option is there if you are suitably determined, and have
73 > access to the appropriate resources (a friend that has the tools and
74 > knows what they are doing, or funds to purchase the service commercially,
75 > or such that the risk of bricking isn't a major worry).
76 >
77 > If you'd like the specific BIOS settings, I can reboot and look them up,
78 > but I'm not going to bother unless given the above, you think you might
79 > have the options, need to know more, and specifically request that info.
82 Thank you for putting the whole problem in cleartext. I have forwarded your text to AOpen,
83 hoping that even they understand it... ;-)
84 (I understood the problem already, but it's not easy to get AOpen to see this/my point of
85 view on the issue...)
88 Thanks! :-)
89
90 Evert