From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:31:06
1 Evert <evert@×××××××.info> posted bifmu4-nhd.ln1@×××××××.info, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:04:11 +0200:
3
4 > Thank you for putting the whole problem in cleartext. I have forwarded
5 > your text to AOpen, hoping that even they understand it... ;-) (I
6 > understood the problem already, but it's not easy to get AOpen to see
7 > this/my point of view on the issue...)
8
9 Hopefully they can be made to see it. then. =8^)
10
11 FWIW, while they /are/ somewhat more expensive (being targeted at
12 servers), I've been /very/ happy with Tyan. They seem to have the best
13 Linux support of any of the big board makers, even offering preconfigured
14 lm_sensors.conf files in many cases (including mine), as well as
15 certifying to Red Hat, SuSE, etc. I was also quite surprised when well
16 after I bought this board and after many manufacturers would be end-of-
17 life-ing their products, Tyan was still updating their BIOS firmware, and
18 did so to provide dual-core support on this board and several others
19 where they could, even tho the board had never been originally designed
20 or marketed with that feature. That was quite a pleasant surprise! =8^)
21 OTOH, as I said, more expensive. It's a dual-socket-940 Opteron system;
22 a roughly $400 board. Still, that's in line with what other makers were
23 charging for similar at the time.
24
25 Anyway, altho I'll likely move back down-scale some at my next upgrade,
26 it's quite likely that Tyan got a repeat customer. I've been very happy
27 with both the board itself and with Tyan's Linux support (altho there was
28 a memory timing issue in the early BIOS versions that drove me crazy for
29 awhile, given I had generic memory that wasn't quite stable at the
30 labeled speeds; but they solved that nicely too; it just took a bit
31 longer than I'd have liked, given I had the problem at the time).
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list