From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.3.0 'panel ghosts'
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:43:59
1 > Mark Haney posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:34:52 -0400 as excerpted:
2 >
3 > > I've just upgraded to 4.3.0 and I've got a question. On my 'taskbar',
4 > > if an app crashes (like Firefox just did trying to play a flash video)
5 > > I'm getting a 'button' on the taskbar of the app that just won't go
6 > > away. I have 2 currently, one from evolution and one from Firefox.
7 > >
8 > > Does anyone know how to make those go away? Is anyone else seeing this
9 > > problem?
12 As others have indicated, you'd need to manually kill the processes.
13
14 Open an X terminal and issue the command:
15
16 ps ax
17
18 This will produce a list similar to the following, which is taken
19 from my own machine:
20
21 663 pts/2 Ss+ 0:00 sh
22 674 ? Ss 0:00 dhcpcd -R -M -h -t 120 -L -Y eth0
23 678 ? Sl 0:00 pdnsd -d
24 684 ? S 0:02 sylpheed
25 697 ? Sl 0:32 skipstone-bin
26 994 pts/0 R+ 0:00 ps ax
27
28 The names of all running processes are shown at the right. Once you have
29 found the process in question (firefox or evolution), make a note of the
30 number at the left. This is the process id, or PID. Then issue the command:
31
32 kill -s 9 PID
33
34 This will terminate those processes.
35
36 Sometimes, a process can be associated with several PID's. Make sure to
37 kill, using the above command, all of the PID's that are involved.
38
39 Frank Peters