From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Xorg-server-1.14.1.901 Fails Emerge
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 04:17:15
1 Dale posted on Wed, 05 Jun 2013 04:16:43 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > ebuild path/to/ebuild manifest/digest
4 >
5 > Naturally that is from memory and replace the relevant parts. You may
6 > need manifest for one or digest but structure is the same. Actually, I
7 > think they both do the same thing after a quick glance at man ebuild.
8 > Should get you started tho.
9
10 That's correct.
11
12 Manifest/digest do the same thing now, but years ago there was one
13 version of it, then things changed a bit and the other appeared that did
14 something a bit different, but on repositories/overlays using the newer
15 version the older version simply aliased to the new so people's scripts,
16 etc, didn't break. I've forgotten the exact details, but I remember it
17 feeling slightly ridiculous at first using the old form for the new
18 function, since it wasn't really technically accurate any more. I think
19 that's why they changed the name on the second, making it more accurate
20 again. But then that broke people's scripts so they aliased the old to
21 the new, and now they both do the same thing.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman