From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Fragmentation
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:01:09
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Now, of course, I'm on Gentoo, and use cfdisk (curses-fdisk) to do the
4 > partitioning, and then format the new partitions myself, later. cfdisk
5 > even works to partition Linux-kernel RAID, as that's what I used to do the
6 > partitioning on my current RAID-(0/1/6) system. I then do mkreiserfs
7 > manually, from the command line (rebooting between changing the partition
8 > layout and creating the filesystem, naturally). cfdisk uses a less fancy
9 > tabular format, but it's still surprisingly easy, not requiring the user
10 > to figure out sector addresses and the like unless they want to.
11
12 I don't mind using whatever tools are available for the initial partitioning
13 scheme, but this box gets treated pretty much as a development machine
14 would, with partitions moving up and down and being copied between disks far
15 more often than lots of people would find comfortable!
16
17 A nice, easy, graphical program like Partition Magic is just the thing for
18 that. I don't have to have a Windows partition to run it from, as version 8
19 can boot from its own CD. That's a DOS version of course, so pretty
20 partition labels are out, but they can easily be changed with tunefs later.
21 If I were to switch to Reiser, I'd have to copy all the data to an extXfs
22 partition first, delete the Reiser, create it somewhere else and then copy
23 all the data back again. Slow, and error-prone. Not my idea of a workable
24 backup strategy.
25
26 I'll sit back now and wait for the howls of indignation!
29 Rgds
30 Peter.
31 --
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list