From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Fragmentation
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:28:54
1 Peter Humphrey posted <43F49AFF.6040403@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,
2 on Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:32:15 +0000:
3
4 >> All that dealt with, there's only one possibly valid reason I'm aware of,
5 >> for those already splitting out the portage tree onto its own partition,
6 >> why they might /not/ wish to use reiserfs. Those that only have ext2/3
7 >> configured in their kernel may not wish to bother configuring reiserfs for
8 >> just the portage tree.
9 >
10 > I'd better tell you my reason then - I've been using Partition Magic to
11 > manipulate my partitions for several years now, and it doesn't do Reiser.
12
13 LOL! You /would/ come up with that sort of reason. =8^)
14
15 I used to swear by Partition Magic back on MSWormOS, the more so once I
16 made the /bad/ mistake of upgrading to Quarterdeck's (IIRC) Partition-it,
17 and kept having troubles -- turned out when I gave up and returned to
18 Partition Magic, Partition-it had created what amounted to an invalid
19 partition -- some of it's settings weren't correct!
20
21 Mandrake's graphical partitioning tool (disk-drake, IIRC), however, will
22 be quite comfortable to use for anyone already familiar with Partition
23 Magic. I took to it in no time! I initially switched to the Mandrake
24 solution after I wrote to Partition Magic as I was getting ready to switch
25 to Linux, and they said they weren't going to bother supporting all the
26 file system types in the standard 2.4 kernel, and had no immediate plans
27 to run on Linux, either. As I had a goal of switching entirely to Linux,
28 needless to say, no more Partition Magic purchases for me! I continued to
29 use the older Partition Magic to do the initial partitioning, then used
30 disk-drake to format everything reiserfs, as that's what I had decided to
31 use, after finding and digesting DRobbins' file system series on
32 DeveloperWorks. (Who could have guessed at that point that in a
33 couple years I'd be switching to the distrib he founded. I certainly
34 had no clue or premonition. In fact, I didn't realize it was one and
35 the same guy until I had already switched to Gentoo and was doing some
36 research on data=ordered, when that got added to reiserfs for the main
37 kernel. Happy coincidence! =8^)
38
39 Now, of course, I'm on Gentoo, and use cfdisk (curses-fdisk) to do the
40 partitioning, and then format the new partitions myself, later. cfdisk
41 even works to partition Linux-kernel RAID, as that's what I used to do the
42 partitioning on my current RAID-(0/1/6) system. I then do mkreiserfs
43 manually, from the command line (rebooting between changing the partition
44 layout and creating the filesystem, naturally). cfdisk uses a less fancy
45 tabular format, but it's still surprisingly easy, not requiring the user
46 to figure out sector addresses and the like unless they want to.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
52 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
56 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list