From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Install Athlon 64 X2 32-bit
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:26:30
1 Peter Ruskin <peter.ruskin@×××××××××.com> posted
2 200605312116.50888.peter.ruskin@×××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 31 May 2006 21:16:50 +0100:
4
5 > I get my new Athlon 64 X2 box next week, so I'll be doing a fresh
6 > Gentoo install. Could someone please give me a hint how to install
7 > it 32-bit instead of 64, so that the win32-codecs work?
8 >
9 > Is there much of a performance hit with this option?
10
11 You have at least four options. The first is to just install it as a
12 normal x86 (using basically the same settings you probably use now, since
13 I see you are on AthlonXP, only with SMP for the dual-core, and perhaps
14 -march=k8 in your CFLAGS).
15
16 The second is to go 64-bit multilib, the default, which makes most stuff
17 64-bit, then merge mplayer-bin, firefox-bin, etc, as precompiled 32-bit
18 binaries, if desired.
19
20 The third option would be 64-bit with multilib, but also do a 32-bit
21 chroot. As you already have a 32-bit machine, you could even use its
22 packages (if you have FEATURES=buildpkg set, or using quickpkg to create
23 the binpkgs and just copy them over, or just image the entire thing and
24 copy the image as is. For this option, you'll want to read the 32-bit
25 chroot guide at:
26 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
27
28 The fourth option is a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit userland. I'm not
29 that familiar with this option, but see the amd64/2006.0/32bit-userland
30 subprofile.
31
32 In any case except possibly the first one (and possibly even there for
33 simple information reasons), you'll want to read the amd64-FAQ at:
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml. All the above options
35 should give you working win32-codecs as all will allow 32-bit versions of
36 whatever you would be merging to use those codecs.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list