From: Mike Owen <kyphros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Install Athlon 64 X2 32-bit
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:33:24
1 On 5/31/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > You have at least four options. The first is to just install it as a
3 > normal x86 (using basically the same settings you probably use now, since
4 > I see you are on AthlonXP, only with SMP for the dual-core, and perhaps
5 > -march=k8 in your CFLAGS).
6 >
7 <snip>
10 That's probably a bad idea. Setting k8 enables the PTA_64BIT option
11 in gcc, which I'm guessing won't work too well with a pure-32bit
12 kernel + userland. You're probably best off using the same profile as
13 you are now. If your kernel supports the hardware, you could even do
14 an inplace upgrade, and not have to reinstall at all. The one thing
15 you'll miss out on with using the athlon-mp or athlon-xp -march
16 settings is sse2, and athlon-fx specific tuning.
17
18 HTH,
19 Mike
20 --