From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Virtualization/WinXP
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 02:04:00
1 On 01/27/10 08:47, Marko Obrovac wrote:
2 > Hello Mark,
3 >
4 > 2010/1/26 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
5 >
6 <snip>
7 >>
8 >> 1) If I go the VMWare route is it vmware-workstation that I want?
9 >>
10 <snip>
11 > You might want to try vmware-player (if you want to go the
12 > vmware way). It is free, but it comes with restrictions. The major
13 > disadvantage is - you can't create your own images, you can only "play"
14 > them.
15
16 Not exactly. VMWare Player's [.vmx] configuration file is a simple
17 plain-text file and you can pretty much create your own disk image for
18 any OS from blank disk image (downloadable). One of my first Linux
19 machine was Ubuntu on VMWare Player from blank disk image (though I did
20 copy the base config file from a pre-made, customizing the .vmx file is
21 near-trivial).
22
23 I believe there are also some 3rd party software for creating VMWare
24 configuration file, though I never used them.