From: Marko Obrovac <marko.obrovac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Virtualization/WinXP
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:03:08
1 Hello Mark,
2
3 2010/1/26 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
4
5 > Hi,
6 > OK - with the new machine up and running well enough to do some
7 > work I really need to get some sort of virtualization going to see if
8 > I can get around the fact that XP cannot be installed on this machine.
9 > (at least not easily) I need to run TradeStation and I'd like to try
10 > under Linux but Wine is ABSOLUTELY not an option.
11 >
12 > I ran XP & TS on my older system (5 year old 3GHz AMD64) but it's
13 > been a long time since I tried it. The performance was just OK. I
14 > expect this machine may be acceptable.
15 >
16 > To anyone familiar with this subject a few questions:
17 >
18 > 1) If I go the VMWare route is it vmware-workstation that I want?
19 >
20 AFAIK, vmware-workstation is the not license-free, so you'll have to invest
21 some money in it. You might want to try vmware-player (if you want to go the
22 vmware way). It is free, but it comes with restrictions. The major
23 disadvantage is - you can't create your own images, you can only "play"
24 them.
27 > 2) Are there any prebuilt XP images that would save me the hassle of
28 > installing Win XP and just allow me to validate with my existing keys?
29 > Is this the purpose of vmware-player? (which doesn't seem to have
30 > fetch restrictions...)
31 >
32 Many sites (like this one: http://www.filestube.com/v/vmware+windows+image)
33 offer you ready-to-go vmdk images. Google will help you find a lot of sites
34 like this one.
37 > 3) In some ways the most important question is what are the Open
38 > Source alternatives and how easy are they to set up?
39 >
40 There are (at least) three alternatives: VirtualBox (
41 http://www.virtualbox.org , http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VirtualBox ), kVM
42 ( http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page ,
43 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/KVM ) and Qemu ( http://www.qemu.org/ ,
44 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/QEmu )
45 In my opinion, VirtualBox is a very good (and open source) alternative to
46 VMWare, and if all you need out of the virtualization software is to be able
47 to run TradeStation, I'd definitely go for this one.
48 kVM and Qemu can be a bit confusing for a beginner (in virtualization), and,
49 although they can offer better performance than vbox, I don't think they're
50 worth the hassle for your specific needs.
53 > For now I'm working from this list of documents and the index in
54 > the upper right:
55 >
56 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VMware_Workstation
57 >